In need of an activity that can entertain the kids, but secretly (or maybe not so secretly) pique your interest as well? In this case, Orlando doesn’t get any better. With a multitude of some of America’s most prominent theme parks all roped into one city, you’ll have so many options your kids will never ask “are we there yet?” Not interested in a big, crowded setting? Don’t worry; Orlando has just as many low-key options that are certain to keep your family equally as entertained.
1. Disney Theme Parks: Disney parks? Orlando is famous for them. In this part of town, the mouse rules. Four parks make up Disney World, Orlando: the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and the Animal Kingdom, along with two water parks. With a wide selection of park-hopper passes, you and your family can take your time roaming the happiest place(s) on earth.
Telephone: (407) 939-7718
2. Kelly Park: Kelly Park’s slogan boasts, it’s “What to do when you’ve done Disney,” and that’s just right. Just outside of Orlando, this park is far from traditional, with natural springs running throughout, with rangers that invite you to jump in. If you forget your own tube, you can rent one for a small fee and float down the springs, relaxing with a cold glass while the kids splash around. The shores are perfect for sunbathers, while the refreshing waters are a nice accompaniment to the sunny weather.
Address: 400 East Kelly Park Road, Apopka, Florida; Telephone: (407) 889-4179
3. Universal Studios: With the recent addition of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Studios is giving Disney World a run for its money in terms of a fantastic family vacation. Your family can choose from water parks, exciting live entertainment, and a slew of roller coasters, sure to entertain any movie buff.
Address: 6000 Universal Boulevard Orlando, Florida 32819; Telephone: (407) 363-8000
4. Everglades and Miami Adventure from Orlando: Florida is notorious for its gator infestation. Don’t let your urban surroundings get in the way of your chance to see some alligators in their natural habitats! These tours will pick you up from a number of major hotels in Orlando, whisk you away to the swampy everglades Florida gets its namesake from, and return you back to your initial location at the end of the day, hassle free.
Address: (Multiple Orlando sites, based upon hotel preference); Telephone: (800) 303-5107
5. Sea in the City: This isn’t your average aquarium; in fact, Sea in the City specializes not only on tropical fish, but a colorful array of rare coral masterfully maintained by a staff dedicated to sea life preservation and education. Sea in the City is a perfect day indoors for an inquisitive family searching for a different kind of day out.
Address: 41 Gaston Foster Road, Orlando, FL 32807; Telephone: (407) 207-4056